Monday, January 19, 2009
I have been a massage therapist for 25 years, specializing in Swedish, Deep Tissue, Geriatric, Barefoot Shiatsu, and Energy Healing. I am 62 years of age and my plan is to continue to work in this profession for many years to come. I am learning how to pace myself by balancing my giving with receiving. My receiving treats are spending time swimming, walking, practicing yoga and meditation, eating healthfully and creating one week twice a year to detoxify through juice fasting. I have followed this routine consistently for 32 years and have found it to be an excellent way to rid my body, mind and spirit of unnecessary and damaging toxic debris. Since I had malignant cervical cancer 32 years ago, and healed it myself using only non-invasive natural modalities, I have been extremely proactive in all that I do in my life. I’m very grateful for the cancer and all other wake up calls.
Since Massage Therapy is quite physically demanding, I value any and all things that will help me to maintain my athletic strength and agility, especially as I now move into my older years. And if that isn’t reason enough, here is my bottom line - I don’t get paid for the days I am sick.
Fasting is an incredibly simple and natural way to clean up your act and get on the right track of a bright and healthy tomorrow. There are many kinds of fasts. Water fasting is the “purest”, but also the most extreme and dangerous. Always be supervised on your water fast by an experienced doctor. Juice Fasting, however will accomplish the task of detoxification along with the support of high levels of nutrition. Whatever type of fasting you choose, you need to follow an elimination regime for a few weeks prior to the fast. Here are some quotes from well-known and highly respected authorities about the general subject of fasting:
- “Fasting is the single greatest natural healing therapy. It is nature’s ancient, universal "remedy" for many problems. Animals instinctively fast when ill. When I first discovered fasting, 15 years ago, I felt as if it had saved my life and transformed my illnesses into health. My stagnant energies began flowing, and I became more creative and vitally alive. I still find fasting to be both a useful personal tool and an important therapy for many medical and life problems.” Elson Haas, MD, author of The New Detox Diet
- “Fasting is the world's most ancient and natural healing mechanism. Fasting triggers a truly wondrous cleansing process that reaches right down to each and every cell and tissue in the body. Within 24 hours of curtailing food intake, enzymes stop entering the stomach and travel instead into the intestines and into the bloodstream, where they circulate and gobble up all sorts of waste matter, including dead and damaged cells, unwelcome microbes, metabolic wastes, and pollutants. All organs and glands get a much-needed and well-deserved rest, during which their tissues are purified and rejuvenated and their functions balanced and regulated. The entire alimentary canal is swept clean. By rebuilding immunity, health is naturally restored and disease disappears. If health and immunity are thereafter conscientiously maintained, the individual is no longer vulnerable to disease and dieting become unnecessary. Surely one of the most overlooked and yet most valuable modes of healing that will be rediscovered in the future of the new medicine is the fast. This is because of the increasing interest in looking to oneself for healing powers. For the fast is an inward process and cannot be entered upon only from an outer approach with any expectation of a lasting benefit. The person must invariably be involved with the overall results. This therapeutic encounter is in direct contrast to the usual non-involvement in the physician-directed, disease-oriented medical practice of today." Evart Loomis, M.D.
- "It is estimated that fasting for the alleviation of human suffering has been practiced uninterruptedly for 10,000 years. No doubt it has been employed from the time man first began to get sick. Fasting was part of the methods of healing practiced in the Ancient Asculapian Temples of Toscurd Guido, 1300 years before the time of Jesus. Hippocrates, the mythical Greek "Father of Physic," seems to have prescribed total abstinence from food while a "disease" was on the increase, and especially at the critical period, and a spare diet on other occasions. Tertullian has left us a treatise on fasting written about 200 A.D. Plutarch said: "Instead of using medicine rather fast a day." Avicenna, the great Arab physician often prescribed fasting for three weeks or more." Dr. Herbert Shelton
- "Almost all diseases begin in the digestive track. This includes diabetes, asthma, cancer, alzheimer's, heart disease, memory loss, fibromyalgia, MS, and too many to even list here. If you are seeking health, and you have not found the answers to your recovery and healing, start here. Your intestinal track is the origin of disease, and it is also the origin of your healing. I cannot emphasize enough how important the cleansing of your digestive system is, to your health." Dr. Joseph Rodrigo M.D
- "Proven throughout history for physical, mental and spiritual rejuvenation, fasting promotes cleansing and healing; helps normalize weight, blood pressure, cholesterol; rebuilds the immune system; and helps reverse the aging process. If we are to get these poisons out of our bodies we must fast. By fasting we give our bodies a physiological rest. This rest builds Vital Force. The more Vital Force we have, the more toxins are going to be eliminated from the body to help keep it clean, pure and healthy." Patricia Bragg, Ph.D.
- "The best of all medicines are rest and fasting" Benjamin Franklin
Some Benefits of Juice Fasting:
Regenerates Through Nutrients and Enzymes
With the fiber removed in the juice extraction process, vital juices retain the digestive enzymes that would have gone to digesting and breaking down the tough plant fiber. These enzymes, instead, get to work on breaking down old food debris in your digestive tract.
The nutrients in the juices regenerate the glands and organs associated with digestion so digestive excretions are more vital, muscular action is stronger and your ability to absorb nutrients is more efficient. Less undigested food in your digestive tract means more energy and a lighter state of being.
This myriad of essential enzymes, vitamins and minerals in their most natural and potent state are available through juicing that you can’t get in any other form other than fresh plant food.
Reduces Food Cravings
The two main reasons why we crave unhealthy foods are malnutrition and undigested food matter in the digestive tract. When your cells and organs become malnourished from eating devitalized and non nutritional foods, your body overproduces digestive juices. If your digestive system is congested with old hard-to-digest food debris, the digestive juices become attuned to not what your body needs but what is sitting in your digestive system. By drinking fresh juices, you are feeding your body the nutrients and plant vitality that it truly craves.
Rejuvenates through Natural Elements
The health of our bodies is dependent upon ingestion of the same elements that make up human cells. Our cells and organs are made up of primary elements; oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen, sodium, iron, sulphur, phosphorous, potassium, magnesium, calcium and other named and unnamed elements. Ingesting enough raw materials to rebuild and rejuvenate existing cells and give birth to new cells is the primary function of the human body, and we need to give ourselves the opportunity for this to happen.
Carries out Free Radicals
Having little magnetism or electrical charge (that is no life and no intelligence), entities called free radicals, are attracted to live atomic energy. If there is little atomic energy in the bloodstream to carry them away and out of the body, free radicals will then accumulate in the body attaching themselves to live healthy cells. Free radicals attaching themselves to live cells are what cause degenerative disease, ineffective organ function and premature aging.
Enhances Our Body Intelligence
Our brain and nervous system is a network of organized electrical and magnetic energy. Eating foods with live energy means an increase in electrical and magnetic energy within the body, increasing and enhancing the receptivity of the brain and nervous system. Improved receptivity improves the body’s ability to communicate its needs to the brain and other parts of the body. Communication between mind and body is called body intelligence.
Assists in Balancing Weight Issues
A healthy and nutritionally satisfied body does not easily gain unnecessary weight. How quickly you lose weight and feel healthier is relative to how much vital food you add to your diet. A healthy body will urge you to exercise and eat lighter because storing food is a drain on the organs and metabolism. Only a day or two of fasting is recommended for people who are underweight.
Improves Your State of Health
Ingesting vital raw plant foods improves health more than any bottled supplement, powder, drug, therapy or health program. Consuming vital plant food in the form of fresh juices improves your state of health without abstinence or self-denial. Your road to good health is entirely up to you. Adding juices to your diet will make dramatic differences to your health.
I hope that I have stimulated your interest in this powerful healing remedy. Now, you need to follow up by researching everything that you can find about the power of fasting. There are some contraindications. It’s the most comprehensive mind, body and spiritual healing tool I have ever found. In order to have success with this process, you must prepare your body by following an elimination diet for two weeks before you go into the liquids. If you don’t, you may not have a very pleasant experience. For example, if you reduce your coffee intake before the fast, you probably won’t get a caffeine headache during the first few days of the liquids. Insomnia, nausea, dizziness, constipation, rashes and other reactions are all possible as the body deals with toxic elements. Seriously ill people should not fast, unless they are completely supervised by an experienced medical doctor.
Jill Ayn Schneider, LMT and Director of Circle of Life Holistic Programs (561) 638-8873 Jill leads one-on-one and small group juice fasting detoxification retreats in Florida, California and Mexico. Learn more about elimination programs to prepare for fasting, juice recipes, books and get a free consultation at www.circle-of-life.net