Monday, January 19, 2009
- Go to a mirror in your home and take some private time to look yourself in the eyes.
- Ask yourself this question, "Do I deserve to love myself?" Note your mind's reaction.
- Now ask this, "Can the answers to these questions please come from the heart?" Acknowledge your feelings without judgment.
- Now, go back to No. 2 and start again. Is there a difference in the answers you are getting as you continue to look into your own eyes very deeply? Some emotions might surface.
- Now close your eyes, take five very deep breaths and pray for help in learning how to love yourself as you have never loved yourself before.
- Open your eyes, look deeply into the mirror as you begin to take off your clothes. Look at your body as you remove each piece of clothing. No judgment, just breathe and watch yourself, especially your eyes.
- When you are completely stark naked, in your Birthday Suit, wish yourself a very Happy Birthday. Look into your eyes and tell yourself that you are beautiful, worthy and happy to be alive, no matter what your mind is telling you. Tell the BS conversation in your head to just take a hike.
- Accept what you see. Love what you see. Talk to your each part of your body and say Thank you.
- What would God be telling you in this moment? Listen. Would you be embarrassed to be in your Birthday suit? Hasn't the Creator given you this body as a gift?
- Look back into your eyes and say Thank You for the gift of this human form.
Continue to do this exercise every day. Notice your attitude to see if there are any changes in how you feel about yourself.
When you love yourself you will become the best that you can be. You will set boundaries that people cannot cross. Your stride will be more confident. Your posture will be straighter. Your breath will be deeper and your voice will appear more definitive and clear.
Pass this exercise along to your children, friends and family. We can all do with a dose of self-esteem.