West Shore Class: Extended Hours
The size of the West Shore Class has grown (!) and an hour is no longer enough time for formal practice, the weekly topic, and Q&A.
New Hours: 6:30pm - 8:00pm
(same start time, 30 minutes longer)
In case you missed last week's announcement, our West Shore Class has moved into it's new location and everything got an upgrade! New and bigger space, new chairs, and more cushions and blankets too! For a map and directions to the new location (just one block from the previous one) click here.
Bethesda Mission - Group Volunteer Opportunities
On Saturday, April 3rd, 2010, we'll be volunteering as a group to assist the Bethesda Mission's "Mobile Mission," their fully-equipped "Samaritan Service" vehicle. From 8:30pm to 12:00am, we'll help to deliver food, clothing, and toiletries along with kindness, compassion, and critical help to Harrisburg's street population. Only 5 volunteer spots are available so email me soon if you'd like to participate.
I'd also like to explore the possiblity of volunteering as a group to assist the Bethesda Mission's Soup Kitchen on a monthly basis. Volunteers are needed every evening including weekends. Please contact me if this is something that you'd like to be involved with.
Polar Bear Plunge!
I feel like Freezin' for a Reason, so on Saturday, February 6th I'll be taking a dip in the icy waters of the Susquehanna to raise money for the Special Olympics! If you'd like to donate a few bucks and sponsor my lunacy, follow this link to my Special Olympics fundraising website
. This event is tons of fun, so come on out to City Island at 12:00pm for games, food, hot cocoa, and free prizes! Click here
if you want to take the plunge too - and then email me! :)
We Appreciate Your RSVP's
If you think there's even a remote possiblity that you'll be able to attend one of our East or West Shore Mindfulness Meditation classes, please RSVP if you can. Walk-ins are always welcome, but we'd rather have too many handouts and chairs than too few. Thank you!
This Sunday's Mindfulness Meditation Class
Topic and Practice
This Week's Topic:
"Lack of Self-Esteem and Confidence: Why You Need to Gain Your Ego's Trust"
This Week's Practice:
East Shore Mindfulness Meditation Class
Sunday, January 17th
2:00 to 3:30pm
RSVP: Click here to RSVP
West Shore Mindfulness Meditation Class
Sunday, January 17th
6:30 to 8:00pm
RSVP: Click here to RSVP
See you there!
In case you've been wondering what to expect should you attend one of our meetings, I've added a new video
to the website from a PBS special that highlights a Mindfulness Group with an identical meeting format. Of course, you're always welcome to email me if you have any questions. :)
Previous Class Topics and Handouts
I've just started posting the weekly handouts online. Click here
and scroll through the list of previous topics. Available handouts are hyperlinked.
Have you visited the "Support
" section lately? We have a great selection of eBooks, meditation timers and bells that you can download for free. Check it out!
Online Member's Forum
The Meditation Community of Central PA's "Member's Forum
" is a great place to:
* Announce any free community events of interest.
* Connect with other like-hearted people in the community. Go ahead - connect!
* Inspire others by sharing your own writings, poetry, or life experiences from your journey of self-discovery and growth. Don't be afraid to shine!
* Share your favorite quotes, poems, songs, movies, books, and authors. If you found it inspirational and transformative we want to know about it!
* Ask a question about meditation in general or about your own personal practice. You can even post anonymously.
* Offer your suggestions. Is there a particular topic you'd like us to discuss at our weekly mindfulness meditation meetings? Would you like us to host a particular guest speaker/teacher or would you like to offer a presentation yourself? Let us know! We'd love to hear from you!
The forum is brand new and it's still looking a little thin, so click over
and post something to help us warm it up a bit. :)
If you have been trying to meditate for a while and have not been satisfied with the results, or you don't know where to begin and you need help getting motivated, you are not alone. Individualized coaching can help you to:
- Gain clarity on the view and technique of mindfulness meditation
- Learn how to work with the common obstacles to your meditation practice
- Deepen your path of practice and study
- Learn to combine meditation and daily life
Mindfulness Meditation programs are being conducted in hundreds of hospitals, healthcare facilities, schools, corporate wellness programs, and prison settings all across the United States, and around the world. In addition to significant reductions in stress, proven benefits of Mindfulness Meditation include but are not limited to:
- Elevated immune system function
- Less frequency and duration of illnesses
- Improved management of pain
- Decreased heart rate and blood pressure
- Improved sleep and digestion
- Increased energy
- Improved mental function, intelligence, and memory
- Improved decision-making ability
- Less irritability, anxiety, and depression
- Improved interpersonal relationships
- Increased resilience to change
- Aid to smoking cessation efforts
Feel free to email me for more information or to schedule a consultation. I look forward to working with you!
Joshua O'Brien, O.M.
Certified in Healing Meditation and Stress Reduction
References available upon request.
New Year's Discount Coupon Offer
Mindfulness Meditation is a research based approach to meditation adapted specifically for use in a secular context. Regular practice has been shown to significantly improve our physical, mental, and emotional health. In other words, it's just plain good for you, and anyone can do it!
In the spirit of the New Year and to help you hold to that New Year's resolution to meditate every day (hint-hint), here's a coupon
offer for a one-hour Mindfulness Coaching session good for the entire month of January.
If you'd like help with developing a habit of meditation practice, need help overcoming common obstacles to your regular practice, or just want to know more about mindfulness meditation and how it can improve your life, please take advantage of this New Year's offer and contact me today.
Day and evening appointments in the Central Pennsylvania area are available.
One Hour Mindfulness Meditation Coaching Session