Monday, October 26, 2009
This meal is a good source of Vitamin A (important for healthy skin and
eyes) and a great source of vegetarian protein, AND it warms you up on
a chilly fall or or winter day.
Serves 4 to 6
1 Tbsp evoo (extra virgin olive oil)
2 cups sweet onions, diced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp fresh ginger root, minced
1 Tbsp red curry paste
4 cups organic vegetable stock
2 cups carrots, peeled and diced
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1 cup dried red split lentils
1 cup frozen shelled edamame beans (soybeans), thawed
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/3 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
- Heath oil in large saucepan over med-high heat
- add onion, garlic, and ginger; saute 5 min or until soft and translucent. Stir occasionally
- stir in curry paste and 1 cup stock to blend.
- add carrots, and crushed red pepper
- reduce heat to med-low, cover, and cook until carrots are crisply tender, about 5 min. Stir.
- add remaining stock, lentils, edamame beans, and bring to boil.
- cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes until lentils are tender
- Stir in cilantro, salt and pepper
- spoon into individual serving bowls and serve with crusty whole grain bread
recipe courtesy Alive magazine, Nov 2009