Monday, June 07, 2010
Like Autogenics this technique builds on the principle of “mind over matter.” On the “wings” of imagination, your mind travels to a pleasant safe place, producing sensations of relaxation in your body.
1. Sit or lie down in a relaxed position.
2. Picture a tranquil setting such as a sunny beach to feel particularly relaxed.
3. Visualize feeling calm, warm and relaxed.
When Your Mind Wanders…
During relaxation techniques, you may find that your mind keeps wandering. This drifting can interfere with your ability to relax. With practice though, you can learn to focus your mind.
• Accept that a certain amount of mindwandering is normal. Don’t waste time punishing yourself for it.
• Bring your mind back gently to a favorite image: a gently flickering flame, bubbles rising to the surface of a glass, your baby’s face.
• Whenever possible perform a rhythmic activity like jogging before hand, which may help you focus on breathing and clear your mind.